Friday, 17 July 2015

No Slouch

source
I'm starting to realize that my recent attempts to avoid back pain by avoiding slouching at work are misguided at best. For the past few days, when I've noticed myself in the curled up and leaning forward posture that rounds my shoulders and sticks out my belly putting undue pressure on my lower spine, I've done my best to straighten my spine, pull my shoulders back, and tighten my core. This results in "sitting up straight" for a few minutes till my attention drifts and an hour later I find myself slouching with a sore back again.

I fear I may be attempting to correct the symptoms instead of the cause. My knee has healed from the tumble two weeks ago so I will start my new bodyweight exercise routine this upcoming week. If I want to care for my skeletal system and joints, I need to strengthen the muscles that keep them in the right places.

I'm going to base my workout on the nerdfitness beginer's bodyweight workout and do it 3 times a week. The first week will look like this:
  • Warm-up fast-walk (at least 15 min)
  • 10 body weight squats
  • 5 incline/chair push ups
  • 10 walking lunges
  • 10 dumbbell rows (using a gallon milk jug or similar)
  • 20 second plank
  • 20 Jumping Jacks
  • Cool down stretch


After noting how easy/hard each activity is, I'll adjust the reps accordingly but I want to make this achievable and currently the only thing I'm worried about is actually getting 5 pushups, even on an incline.

I have figured out where in my schedule I'm tucking these workouts. I work Tues-Sat so Monday morning after I've sent Hugslut off to work with a warm breakfast, I'll start my day with a walk around the block and then right into the exercises before I have a chance to think of what else I'm going to go that day.  Wednesday and Friday I'll just launch right into it as soon as I've walked home from work.

I'm pondering some interval training on Tuesdays and Wednesdays but that comes later. 
One step at a time.